These pinwheel appetizers are an especially festive treat for Christmas and winter holidays, with their red and green filling. You can use jarred red peppers or roast your own. Feel free to vary the fillings according to your taste or what you have on hand. Try chopped ingredient combinations like dates and nuts, capers and smoked salmon, dried cranberries and scallions, or prosciutto and arugula.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: About 24 pieces
- 4 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 4 large (8- to 10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 8-ounce jar green olives, drained and roughly chopped
- 4 ounces (about 1/2 cup) roasted red peppers, roughly chopped
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese and goat cheese. Add the milk and stir the mixture until smooth and spreadable.
- With a butter knife or an offset spatula, spread a thin layer of the goat cheese mixture over a tortilla. With a paper towel, blot any excess liquid off the olives and roasted peppers, then sprinkle them in a light layer over the cheese mixture, leaving about 1 inch of the cheese mixture uncovered on one side. Beginning across from the uncovered side, roll the tortilla as tightly as possible (without squeezing out the filling) into a log, ending with the uncovered side. Press the end of the tortilla against the rolled part so that the exposed cheese mixture seals the log. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the logs into 1-inch pieces and arrange on a platter. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 or 3 hours.