This versatile trout spread is the perfect go-to party food. Serve it as a dip for red pepper spears or cucumber slices, or as a topping for crackers. Spoon it into baked mini puff pastry shells. Use it as a spread for canapés on cocktail rye. Pipe it onto endive leaves… the list goes on! (And, if you have some left over after your party, it's fantastic spread onto a toasted bagel. Using a food processor or an immersion blender makes a fairly smooth spread. If you prefer it to be chunky, hand-chop the trout and mix everything by hand with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: About 1 1/4 cups
- 6 ounces smoked trout, bones and skin removed, broken into chunks
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons drained, chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 scallion, green part only, minced, for garnish
- In the bowl of a food processor (or in a mixing bowl, if you’re using an immersion blender), combine the trout, sour cream, horseradish, capers and lemon juice. Process for a few moments, until all the ingredients are combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a serving bowl and garnish with the minced scallion. Serve with crudité or crackers, or spoon into mini pastry shells and garnish with a sprig of fresh dill.