Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 27 minutes
Total Time: 42 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups peeled, shredded potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 pound asparagus, steamed until tender, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded colby cheese
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. In a medium oven-safe nonstick pan* (about 10 inches), heat the oil over medium heat, then add potatoes and saute, stirring frequently, until potatoes begin to turn golden brown, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then smooth potatoes into an even layer on the bottom of the pan. Let cook untouched for about 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat the eggs and the milk together and season with a sprinkling salt and pepper. Sprinkle the asparagus evenly over the potatoes, then pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and asparagus. Put the pan in the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until the egg mixture is set, and no longer wobbly if you shake the pan.
- Remove the pan from the oven, preheat the broiler, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, then broil the pie in the broiler for about 2 minutes, until the cheese begins to brown. Serve warm, in wedges.
*If your nonstick pan is not oven safe, saute the potatoes in a regular nonstick pan, then transfer them to a 9-inch pie pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray, and spread potatoes in a smooth layer. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until the potatoes begin to get crisp, then proceed with the rest of the recipe, beginning with step 2.