Pancakes for dinner? Why not, when you're serving these corn pancakes. They are fantastic served with a savory relish, like Black Bean and Avocado relish, or your favorite chicken salad, or even just a dollop of salsa and sour cream. Or, enjoy them at breakfast the traditional way, drizzled with syrup or fruit compote.
Special Equipment Needed: Electric griddle or stovetop griddle pan
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (2 pancakes)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal or masa harina
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cooked corn kernels
- Butter or cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the milk and butter, whisk to combine.
- In another medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir with a whisk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir until just combined. Fold in the corn kernels.
- Heat a griddle to medium-high heat. Coat the griddle with butter or cooking spray. Spoon the pancake batter onto the griddle, about 1/4 cup per pancake. Cook for 5 minutes or until the underside of the pancake is browned. Turn the pancakes over and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes until the other side is browned.
- Keep pancakes warm in a 150˚F oven until serving. Coat the griddle with more butter or oil and repeat with remaining batter. Makes about 8 5-inch pancakes.