Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Total Time: 16 minutes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 eggs
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 slices French bread, very stale, 1-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat electric griddle to high, and preheat oven to 375˚F. In a bowl, combine milk, eggs, salt, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine until mixture is smooth. Transfer mixture to a pie or cake pan.
- Place an ovenproof (metal) baking rack on a sheet pan. Dip two pieces of French bread into the milk mixture, let soak 30 seconds, turn over, and soak for 30 seconds more. Transfer bread to the baking rack and let sit for 1 minute. Spray griddle with nonstick cooking spray and transfer soaked bread to griddle, cook for 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. While bread is grilling, soak the next two pieces. As toast on griddle is done, return to the baking rack. Continue soaking and grilling until all the pieces are griddled. Sprinkle toast evenly with cinnamon.
- Place rack with toast in the oven and cook at 375˚F for 5 minutes, or until the center of the French toast is set. Serve warm.
This recipe for Custardy Baked French Toast serves 4.