The T-Fal ActiFry is known for being able to cook a batch of crispy French fries with just a tablespoon of oil. But did you know it also excels at cooking risotto? This recipe for risotto is easy to make in the ActiFry, because the appliance does all the stirring for you, freeing you to do other prep work in the kitchen. This versatile recipe can use any sort of greens that are in season.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 main course or 8 side servings
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 ounces chanterelle mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup white wine or vermouth
- 2 cups tender greens, such as purslane, spinach, arugula or watercress
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- In a saucepan on the stove, bring the chicken stock to a simmer and keep hot.
- Turn the ActiFry on, add butter to the pan, and allow it to melt. When the butter is melted, add the onion and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chanterelles to the ActiFry and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until they begin to soften. Add the rice and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the vermouth or wine and cook until nearly all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 4 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups of the hot stock and cook until the liquid is nearly absorbed, about 10 to 13 minutes.
- Continue to add stock, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing it to absorb before adding more.
- When all of the stock has been added and the rice is creamy and firm to the bite but cooked through, stir in the greens and the Parmesan cheese, using a spoon to fold the greens and cheese into the rice mixture. Cook for 1 minute more until the greens wilt and the cheese melts. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, portion the risotto into bowls and sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.