You can easily make restaurant-quality rotisserie chicken at home with a countertop rotisserie oven. This recipe uses a sweet and spicy dry rub to give the chicken a complex flavor that even permeates beneath the skin. Don't have a rotisserie? You can roast this chicken for results that are just as tasty – just follow the instructions for roasting.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Resting Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: 3 to 4 servings
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 recipe Sweet and Spicy Dry Rub
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 to 5 pounds
- Spray the removable parts of your rotisserie oven with cooking spray according to manufacturer's instructions. Wash the chicken inside and out and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry rub with olive oil, mix well until the rub ingredients are thoroughly moistened. Using your hands, coat the chicken completely with the rub, working it into the skin. Save a little bit to rub inside of the chicken as well.
- To Cook the Chicken in a Rotisserie: Place the chicken in the rotisserie according to instructions. Cook on high for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the chicken's internal temperature is 165˚F. Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.
- To Cook the Chicken in the Oven:Preheat oven to 450˚F. Place the prepared chicken on a rack in a roasting pan. Cook it at 450˚ for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375˚F and cook for an additional 35 to 45 minutes, or until the juice runs clear when the skin is pierced with a knife, and the internal temperature is 165˚F. Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.