Your entire dinner cooks at once - and on the same pan! - in this easy recipe for meatloaf and Brussels sprouts. Using a single pan cuts down on the amount of dishes you'll have to do, and it keeps your oven from getting overcrowded. Pair the meatloaves and Brussels sprouts with a salad or a side dish of couscous or a grain pilaf, and you've got a filling and comforting weeknight dinner. A drizzle of maple syrup in both the meatloaf and the Brussels sprouts gives a hint of sweetness.
Special Cooking Equipment Needed:Chef's knife, cutting board, grater, baking sheet, parchment paper, mixing bowls, mixing spoons, pastry brush, instant-read thermometer
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings (2 meatloaves)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 1/4 cups peeled, grated sweet potato
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (preferably whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add the turkey, onion, sweet potato and panko breadcrumbs. Stir to combine evenly. Add 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, the Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Stir with a spoon or mix with your clean hands to combine evenly. Form into 8 equal sized round “loaves” and arrange along the outside of the sheet pan. Brush each loaf with the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup.
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts by trimming the ends and cutting each in half. Place the sprouts in a mixing bowl and drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons maple syrup and the olive oil. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Stir to coat the sprouts evenly with the syrup and oil. Spoon the sprouts onto the baking sheet in between and around the meatloaves.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the Brussels sprouts are browned and tender and the internal temperature of the meatloaf is 165˚F when checked with a meat thermometer.