Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Break eggs into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add sugar and beat with a whisk until mixture is frothy and lemon yellow. Add salt, mix to combine.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepot, heat the milk just until it starts to simmer, remove from heat. Slowly add milk to egg mixture, a little at a time, whisking constantly, until all of the milk has been added.
- Pour the egg-milk mixture back into the pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk or a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain the mixture into a bowl. Cool slightly. Stir in cream and vanilla, refrigerate until cold, several hours or overnight.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
Makes about 20 ounces.