Try this easy way to cook spinach – it’s particularly good for large crowds when your pan won’t hold all the raw spinach you need. If you don’t have a lid for your dish, you can cover it with aluminum foil.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped hazelnuts
- 2 pounds fresh spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 300˚F. In a dry skillet, toast hazelnuts over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the spinach into a large glass or ceramic casserole dish or Dutch oven with a cover. Drizzle with olive oil, and use your clean hands or a pair of tongs to toss the spinach leaves to distribute the oil. Cover the pan and place in the preheated oven. After about 7 minutes, open the pan and use tongs to turn the leaves to cook them evenly and to push down any leaves clinging to the side of the dish. Check after 15 minutes, spinach should be wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.>
- To serve, lift spinach out of the pan with tongs, letting any excess liquid drip back into the dish. Distribute between dinner plates or transfer to a platter. Sprinkle each serving with about 1/2 tablespoon hazelnuts and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.