Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 pound black beans, soaked in cool water overnight, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch chard, washed well
- 4 precooked turkey sausage links, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- In a skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil (this can also be done in the liner of your slow cooker if it is safe to use on a stovetop or if your slow cooker has a "brown" function). Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until they're translucent.
- In a large (6 quart) slow cooker crock, add the soaked beans. Transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker and add the carrots, vegetable broth and bay leaves, stirring to combine. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for about 6 hours.
- About 1 1/2 to 2 hours before serving, prepare the chard: Remove the stalks from the chard and slice them into 1/2-inch pieces, and roughly chop the leaves. Stir about 1 teaspoon salt into bean mixture, then using a ladle, remove about 2 cups of the bean mixture and liquid and puree it using either a blender or an immersion blender. Stir the pureed beans back into the mixture in the slow cooker. Stir the chard mixture and the diced turkey sausage into the beans, cover, and cook an additional 1 1/2 to 2 hours over low heat or 45 minutes to 1 hour over high heat. Season to taste with more salt and pepper and remove bay leaves before serving.
This recipe for Black Bean Soup with Sausage and Chard serves 6 to 8 people.