Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 7 hours
Total Time: 7 hours, 20 minutes
- 1 cup onion, minced (about 1 small onion)
- 2 celery stalks, 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup carrots, 1/2-inch slices (4 to 5 medium carrots)
- 1 cup green beans, ends trimmed, in 1-inch slices (about 1/4 pound)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 3 pounds chicken breast and thigh pieces, skinless, fat trimmed, bone-in or boneless
- 1 bay leaf
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- ***For dumplings***
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, in pieces
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cups milk
- In a 6-quart slow cooker crock, combine minced onion, sliced celery and carrots, green beans and garlic. Sprinkle chicken parts with salt and pepper, then add them to the slow cooker crock, placing thighs in first, then chicken breast. Add bay leaf, then pour chicken stock over the ingredients. Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 1 hour, then reduce to low (you can also cook on low for the entire time, just add 30 minutes to an hour to the total cooking time). Cook for 7 to 8 hours.
- Forty-five minutes before serving, remove the chicken parts from the stew (The internal temperature should read at least 165˚F). Cover and keep warm.
- Begin making the dumplings. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add butter, and using your hands or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add chopped parsley, stir to combine. Stir in milk, and stir mixture until a sticky dough forms. Using two table spoons, scoop up a spoonful of dough and use the other spoon to scrape the dough off the first spoon, into the stew. Continue dropping dumplings into the stew, making about 12 dumplings or as many as there are room for in the crock, leaving a little space in between so dumplings don't stick together. Immediately ladle a little broth over each dumpling, then cover and let simmer on low for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, pull the chicken meat off the bones, discarding bones, and shred meat into bite-sized pieces. Keep warm.
- To serve, place a portion of chicken in a shallow soup bowl. Place three dumplings in the bowl, and ladle broth and vegetables over the chicken and dumplings.
This chicken and dumplings serves four to six people.