Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, soaked
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups cooked white rice
- Hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco Sauce
- In a large (6 quart) slow cooker crock, combine the beans, onion, celery, bell pepper, ham hock and garlic. Pour the chicken stock into the slow cooker crock, and stir to combine ingredients. Add the bay leaf, and push it into the liquid until it's submerged.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, until beans are tender. Discard the bay leaf and the ham hock.
- To serve, spoon some white rice into a bowl and ladle Hoppin' John over the rice. Pass hot pepper sauce at the table for everyone to season to their liking.
This recipe for Hoppin' John serves 6 to 8 people.